You see them all the time as you drive around, sitting in driveways doing nothing but rusting away. That’s right, we’re talking about junk cars. However, when deciding to get rid of a junk car, a great deal of people find themselves asking the question, “Is it better to donate my junk car or sell it to a junk yard?”. Well, if you are one of these people, I’ve got some info for you. When it comes down to it, no one can really tell anyone else if they should make one choice over another. The reality of this question is that the best way I can answer it for you is to give you information on both sides and letting you make your own decision as to what will be better for your unique personal position.
Donating Your Junk Car
It should come as no surprise that there are quite a few people that make the decision to donate their junk cars. Donating is a fairly simple process. Once you decide to donate your car, we will come tow it away for free, process the donation and turn it into cash for the charity that you feel deserves it the most. Here are the pros and cons of donating your car:
Pros Involved In Donating A Junk Car
- Free Junk Car Removal – That’s right, when you make the decision to donate your car with Cars Helping Charities, there is no need to pull out your credit card! We cover 100% of the initial expenses involved in towing and processing car donations. All you need to do is make the donation and we will do the rest!
- Support Your Favorite Charity – When you make the decision to donate a car, you are not only making the decision to donate a car, you are making the decision to allow your car to generate funds and support a charity. These charitable contributions are the reason for many instances of community service that would have otherwise well, never have taken place.
- Tax Incentives – As with any form of donation, when you make the decision to donate your car to a charity, you will be awarded with a tax deduction receipt. Consumers who donate a car that generates proceeds less than $500 will be given a $500 tax deduction receipt. However, consumers who donate a car that generates proceeds in excess of $500 will be given a tax deduction equal to the amount of proceeds generated.
Cons Involved In Donating A Junk Car
To be honest, no matter how hard we look, we can’t seem to find any negative aspects to donating a junk car.
Selling Your Junk Car
Because the used auto parts industry and scrap metal industries are in such high demand, another option that you have is to sell your car to a junk yard. Junk yards make their money by buying junk cars and stripping them of anything of value including working parts and scrap metal. All of this is sold to turn a profit for the junkyard.
Pros Involved In Selling A Junk Car
- Free Junk Car Removal – As with donating junk cars, if you make the decision to sell yours, you will not have to pay a penny to get rid of it. Junk yards will happily come and tow your car away without charging a dime!
- Small Cash Payment – If you decide to sell your junk car to a junk yard, you are selling it. This means that you will receive a small cash payment generally between 1 and 2 hundred dollars depending on the type of car.
Cons Involved In Selling A Junk Car
- Doesn’t Help The Community – Given the option, I would personally pick donating a junk car. This is because although the option to sell does come with a SMALL cash payment, the profits don’t do anything to help the community.